Libertas Chambers - A Leading Set In 2024
Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners 2024
Libertas Chambers are delighted to announce that our clerking team and 12 of our Barristers have been ranked in the latest editions of the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories.
Libertas thanks all those who provided such positive assessments and congratulates all our clients, partners and colleagues who have also been ranked.
Head of Chambers, Simon Csoka comments “In Libertas Chambers’ third year we have gone from strength to strength with our members appearing in many of the main fraud and criminal trials nationally. We are delighted to see many of our silks and juniors ranked as leading practitioners in Crime and Financial Crime / Fraud. We congratulate them all and also acknowledge the many achievements of all of our other members over the last 12 months, together with the hard work of our clerking team. We thank our instructing solicitors for their continuing support and their positive feedback in the guides.”
Libertas Chambers – Leading Set – Crime & Financial Crime – View Chambers & Partners profile
Crime – London (Bar) Band 4 -Libertas Chambers is a virtual set with its London facilities on Old Bailey. The set has expanded considerably since its formation in 2020 and now has a considerable crime offering. Barristers here frequently defend clients accused of the most serious crimes, including those involving infanticide, familicide, homicide and terrorism. It has specialist teams for human trafficking and modern slavery, and appellate cases. Recent cases have included the defence of Agneskia Kalinowska in her trial for the torture and death of her son.
Financial Crime – London (Bar) Band 4 –
The barristers at Libertas Chambers are regularly called upon to represent major corporates, financial institutions and individual clients in complex cases involving allegations of bribery, corruption, money laundering and investment fraud. Additional areas of expertise for the team include insider trading, pension mis-selling and tax evasion cases. The set’s tenants also have considerable experience handling cases with an international element. Tenants are involved in some large-scale cases such as the defence of an individual in a £26 million money laundering prosecution following high-profile celebrity burglaries.
- “The clerks are very proactive and their networking is great, which is massively helpful.”
- Director of Clerking Marc King is “hugely experienced. He works hard to deliver the best results for everyone.”
- Clients note in particular the set’s flexibility due to its virtual nature, highlighting that Libertas “was one of the first sets to go virtual and have an offering with meeting rooms in every city in the country. It has really worked.”
- “If any work needs to be done, the clerks carry it out professionally and quickly.”
- “Their clerking is very good.”
- Director of clerking Marc King is “super – he is always contactable, day or night, he is very proactive and his networking is great as well.”
Individual Ranked KCs & Juniors
Simon Csoka KC is a well-regarded criminal barrister who is regularly called upon to defend individual clients in complex and high-profile criminal cases. He has considerable experience handling cases involving allegations of large-scale fraud.
- “He has a phenomenal capacity for memory and is so great on the detail. He is a polished performer and a great advocate.”
- “He is a bright and able advocate.”
- “His memory and grasp of a case is absolutely phenomenal.”
- “He is dynamite: fierce in his arguments, with a very big intellect.”
- “His knowledge and willingness to fight for a client are of the highest level.”
- “He is just phenomenal. You sit back and watch him at work and you just see a true expert.”
- “He’s a go-to for encrochat cases because of his intellect. The arguments he deploys are exceptional.”
Legal 500 – Crime – Tier 3
- ‘Simon is at the top of his game – a silk that everybody wants to instruct. He is incredibly bright and extremely persuasive. A phenomenal advocate that commands the respect of the courtroom. He is highly respected by the judiciary and his peers and is a joy to watch. One of the best around.’
Leonard Smith KC is a criminal defence silk who commands respect for the pains he takes with his preparation and for the persuasive advocacy he delivers in court. He regularly handles cases involving allegations of mortgage fraud, breach of sanctions and overseas corruption. Smith is frequently instructed by both corporations and individuals, and has a strong record of acting in cases with a global reach. He has notable expertise in international bribery cases.
- “A fierce advocate who leaves no stone unturned.”
- “His knowledge base and his mental agility are unrivalled.”
- “His gravitas is undeniable.”
- “His advocacy is absolutely fierce.”
Legal 500 – Crime – Tier 3
- ‘A leading star of the criminal Bar, Leonard excels in cases of the utmost complexity. Thoroughly prepared, he knows all the angles and you want him on your side when the odds are against you. A devastating cross-examiner.’
Adam Kane KC handles matters involving suspected corruption, tax evasion and money laundering. Kane is frequently instructed to represent professionals facing charges of tax and investment fraud. He has added experience in bribery cases.
- “He is very good at the detail of frauds and is able to understand the realities of what is going on.”
- “Adam is a fearsome competitor, an impeccable advocate and highly knowledgeable about the law.”
- “He’s incredibly erudite and has a wonderful turn of phrase.”
- “Adam is a heavyweight advocate with vast experience and great tactical know-how.”
Legal 500 – Crime – Tier 4
- ‘Adam is an extremely hard working and diligent silk. His legal knowledge is extensive and his applications and arguments beautifully and clearly presented, both in writing and orally.’
- “She’s an advocate’s advocate, who presents well to juries.”
Legal 500 – Crime – Tier 3
- ‘Felicity is a fearless courtroom performer, dedicated to putting her clients’ cases faithfully and sympathetically. She is also an authoritative legal analyst. She therefore engages the attention of both juries and judges.’
Keith Mitchell frequently acts unled, acting for the defence in high-value cases. His caseload includes a number of tax fraud, corruption and trading standards matters. He has noted expertise in major bribery cases and is adept at handling cross-border issues.
- “Clients love him and he is a joy to watch in court.”
- “From managing clients to focus of instructions, guidance and the way he presents himself, Keith is a pleasure to work with.”
Legal 500 – Fraud: Crime – Tier 3
- Keith is a very persuasive jury advocate and and has excellent pastoral skills with lay clients putting them at ease in the most stressful of cases.’
- “Hard-working, professional and no nonsense in her approach.”
- “She’s an excellent cross examiner.”
- “Excellent, not only in his preparation, but also with the client and before the jury.”
Gerard Hillman is a proven defence advocate who handles high-value financial crime work, including money laundering, VAT and investment fraud cases. He is singled out for his ability in tax fraud cases. Hillman offers significant expertise in boiler room fraud matters.
- “He has got really good tactical acumen and a fantastic practice.”
- “Gerard is a brilliant jury advocate – he’s very persuasive and has a nice, easy going manner.”
- “Gerard has really good tactical acumen. He sees where he wants to get to in a case and just exactly how he’s going to get there.”
- “He’s very persuasive and has a very good style in front of a jury.”
Legal 500 – Crime – Tier 4
- ‘Gerard is intellectually strong and excellent on the facts of a case. His advocacy is second-to-none and he is a user-friendly counsel. Gerry is also a team player and a class act.’
- “Always well prepared and a consummate professional, she is fantastic to work with.”
- “She has fantastic judgement and is really good at the detail.”
Frances Hertzog – Ranked in: Crime Band 6 – View Chambers & Partners Profile
- “Excellently well prepared and dedicated to the cause.”
Matthew Lawson – Legal 500 – Crime Tier 4
- ‘Matt is a true jury advocate – he is extremely engaging with a jury and inevitably gets them on side. He is an excellent barrister with exceptional client care and clients love to have him on their side. He is a real fighter and leaves no stone unturned.’
- “Oliver has just got this presence in court about him and he always connects with clients and juries. He is able to present very difficult cases in the most attractive way and gets some extraordinary results.”
- “A fearless, polished advocate.”
Legal 500 – Crime Tier 4
- ‘Oliver is a fighter and will not accept any adverse evidence without challenging it and trying to do the best for his client. He is also a natural advocate.’
Of the chambers, and clerking team Legal 500 report the following:
Founded in 2020 as a virtual set, Libertas Chambers is fast gaining a reputation for excellence, with members having recently been instructed in relation to significant murder, terrorism and organised crime cases. Simon Csoka KC, ‘a fearsome cross-examiner and one of the finest criminal silks in the land’, has a leading practice which largely consists of organised crime and murder cases as well as major drugs mandates and high-profile private instructions. He has recently represented Fleetwood Town manager and former professional footballer Joey Barton in two cases, in which he was both acquitted. Felicity Gerry KC is ‘a force of nature‘ who handles homicide, terrorism, and modern slavery cases, among others.
‘Marc King is a cut above. He understands the difficulties solicitors have to deal with and does all he can to try and deliver on consistent service. Louis King also takes the time to make sure solicitors are updated and is always courteous and respectful.’
‘Marc King is a truly remarkable figure amongst criminal clerks. He is agile, responsive and understands what is needed in cases such that his recommendations are well received. He leads an excellent team of counsel and practice administrators.’
You can read more about what the Guide says about us by visiting Chambers Guide 2024